Quote of the Day

It is much easier to build strong children than it is to repair a broken man.

Sunday, October 27, 2013

Advocate, Advisor, Problem Solver, Best Teacher EVER

These words are just some of the words I can use to describe my job. And that last one is not a personal opinion. My adorable monsters said that themselves after we used M&Ms in math. It's funny how the appearance of M&Ms makes me amazing and wonderful.

First: Advocate
My little girl who controls nothing in her life, she is gone. Her parent lost custody and she is now moving to a new state. It isn't fair! I have been working so hard to help this child feel safe, welcome, and loved and the whoosh. The rug gets ripped out from under me and my heart is broken. I have no idea what is going to happen to this little girl. I have prayed and prayed that her new teacher is sensitive to her needs, makes her feel loved, and genuinely cares about this child. As I was told she was leaving at the end of the week, my job dropped, my mouth and heart said no! and my brain could not comprehend it. I got a book and wrote her a small message telling her how much I loved being her teacher and how she can accomplish anything if she works hard. I then had all my students sign their names in the front of the book. While trying to accomplish this, we were watching an educational film. I called my first student over and I had to call his name a few times. When he finally came over he says exasperated, "Miss Gough, I didn't do anything!" I had to laugh and whispered, "No, sign the book!" He then got really excited. As whispers went around the room to go sign the book keeping it a secret from the student leaving, the girls in my class started bringing me cards and pictures they had made for this little girl. As Friday came, we cleaned out her desk, presented her with the book, and child after child went up to her and said they would miss her.
I was telling the school counselor about this (who was also heartbroken this little girl was leaving) and she told me how amazing I was. I asked how so and she replied, you made this little girl feel included and loved. She easily could have been ostracized and pushed aside, but through my hard work and dedication, it became more than a class. They became friends. I just hope her next class will look past her outbursts and see the beautiful little girl underneath it all.

Second: Advisor/Problem Solver
Our school is teaching the 7 Habits of Happy Kids. This includes being Proactive. I love it. I love it because when I start to hear the beginnings of tattling and see both hands shoot up in the air, I simple walk over to the students and say are you being proactive? This is usually met with But Miss Gough! I say no, are you being proactive. Then again But they, teacher! And again no, are You being proactive? At this point both students usually sigh and say no. I laugh on the inside and say alright let's work a little harder at that. I feel like it is a great program and the kids are actually using the terminology. It makes my heart smile a little each time.

As a teacher, we get involved, attached, take a personal interest, and sometimes want to take these children home to have them live with someone who loves them. As I leave the doors of the school, I have to physically shake off the day and leave the classroom problems there, inside the classroom. These children's lives can consume you and break your heart.

Why is the world such a hard place?

No comments:

Post a Comment