Quote of the Day

It is much easier to build strong children than it is to repair a broken man.

Friday, April 22, 2016

The Truth About Quicksand

    When we were little, quicksand was made out to be a huge obstacle that we would encounter at one point or another in our lives. Even cartoons depicted the scene of the main character struggling against the quicksand sinking lower and lower all while they were frantically scrambling to grab any branch or vine they could reach. We would play games about quicksand as we would giggle and pretend we were slowing sinking only to have a friend grab our arm and haul us to safety.
    As life continues on, I've discovered that I didn't need to worry about encountering quicksand on a daily basis, in fact between Nevada and Utah, I found that as long as I stayed on the designated paths while hiking, I wouldn't really have to worry about quicksand at all.
    Except then I discovered the metaphorical quicksand of life. Those times in life when situations happen and you fight with everything you've got to get out, yet find yourself sinking lower and lower with no branch or vine in sight. All of us have times when we don't feel there is a way out, feel that we're sinking.
    A chronic illness can sometimes feel like quicksand. You'll pull yourself out a little bit and feel healthy, only to be sucked back in even further. Medications, therapies, and other resources are small vines that can lift you out, but there are times where you continue to struggle and the light at the end of the tunnel becomes a little less bright. Now don't get me wrong, I am not here to have a pity party or complain. I have had to learn a lot of life lessons in the past year. I've learned that endurance is a lot harder than it seems, prayers for healing don't always get answered, and faith grows where your strength lacks.
     But, the real truth about quicksand is that when you stop fighting, stop struggling, you stop sinking. Quicksand only sucks you in as you struggle. The most quicksand can pull you in is about to your waist if you are still.
    Sadly, unlike quicksand, a chronic illness can never be fully escaped. But, like quicksand, I can lessen the amount of fighting to stay afloat. I have found that the times when I'm praying the hardest, I haven't been healed, but have had a greater ability to get through the tough times. When my strength is gone, my faith grows. I have discovered that the ability to endure doesn't come years, months, or weeks at a time, but in the days, hours and minutes of each day.
    So, the reason for this post. . .  times are tough, life is hard, but with amazing people by your side (like my incredible husband and family) you can endure the coming minutes, hours, and days. Looking too far into the future can seem daunting, but enjoying the moments now make the days sweeter.

    I've had to establish a new motto in life. When the going gets tough, the tough sometimes need to sit down and breathe.

No comments:

Post a Comment