Quote of the Day

It is much easier to build strong children than it is to repair a broken man.

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Adventure is out there!

Never in my entire life have I been so excited for the first day of school. The supplies are bought, the bulletin boards are up, and the desks are arranged (almost). But, I am getting ahead of myself.

Summer school FINALLY ended a week ago today. It was a glorious day filled with anticipation and excitement. Being done with school is a giant hurdle that I have crossed. With the exception of completing my senior capstone, I will never have to go back down to UVU again until I start getting my minor in ASL. It feels weird. I have a few friends that are just getting back from missions and just barely starting college, and I'm just ending. My hard work, dedication, and lack of social life is all paying off. Last Friday, the 2nd, my wonderful friend Amy and I packed an overnight bag, food for seven people (we only needed enough for 2), a swimsuit, and away we went. Raspberry Days was calling our names to come play in Bear Lake. After arriving we walked around the little fair set up and yes, we did indeed get raspberry shakes that were a little piece of heaven. We went down to the lake and somehow picked the muddiest spot to play in, but the mud was squishy, the air was warm, and the lake was cool. Trying to not get our pants wet was slightly difficult, but an adventure all the same. Then we went to the cabin we were staying at with my sister-in-law and her family and unpacked. We immediately changed into our swimsuits and back out to the lake we went. We found the perfect spot where the sandbar stretched out for probably a mile. The lake was cold, but refreshing all the same. When we were tired and hungry we went back to the cabin and had pigs in a blanket for dinner. We were trying to go for authentic camping food with all the luxuries of indoor plumbing. After dinner and about 10 games of Five Crowns we finally went to bed with the plan to wake up super early to see the sunrise on the lake. At 6:30 am when our eyes opened, we saw that the sunrise did not wait for us. Still, we packed a breakfast and down to the lake we went. Sitting on the lake listening to tiny waves crash along the rock lined  shore is good for the soul. Being completely at peace, not worrying about what assignment is due, when we are going to find time for everything, and saying what's next, was amazing. It was probably the most peaceful I have been in the last year. After laying out on the shore for three hours, my body was less at peace. I was sunburned to the max. My poor legs and back were not happy with me the next few days and even today is still reminding me how not smart I was that day. But it was all worth it. To simply get away from the Salt Lake Valley and take a much needed break was worth the money spent, the time taken, and the aloe vera needed.

Now to the next adventure. My classroom is almost completely put together and I could not be more excited. I never realized how much money teachers spend each year to make sure each student has an amazing experience, but I'm sure the memories made will be worth every penny spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment