Quote of the Day

It is much easier to build strong children than it is to repair a broken man.

Monday, May 13, 2013

Me? A teacher? Why Not!

Life was so easy in the beginning.
How many more minutes can I stay up?
What time do I have to be home?
Is mac&cheese for dinner?
But as we get older, these questions change.
What do I want to be when I grow up?
What classes should I take?
Who is going to ask me to the dance?
What time do I have to be home? (this applies throughout life)
And then, once again, the questions change.
What do I do about a job?
What do I want to do for the rest of my life?
What will be the coolest job to have?
How much money to I need to make to support myself?
Will I be happy doing this?

The journey to where I am today began in a little tiny farm town outside of Logan, Utah. From there it jumped from city to city and I began to find out who I am. Growing up I had dreams as all little kids do. At first I wanted to be a singer until I realized I had stage fright and that was out of the picture. Then I wanted to be a chef until I watched one too many cooking shows and realized I didn't like being yelled at and that's all that happened to chefs. So once again, back to square one.
Then, that's right, now comes the climax, on the edge of your seats waiting for the epiphany that got me sitting on my bed writing this. I had always babysat and was good at it, or at least the kids always liked me coming so I took that as a sign of accomplishment. My junior year of high school I took an internship class because of the draw of getting out of school an entire period early. I didn't know what to do so I decided to go to an elementary school and then BAM, IT happened. I found my calling. Grading papers? Amazing. Making copies? So fun. New school supplies? I am in HEAVEN.

And here we are. Sitting on my bed just 3 extremely short months away from walking into my very own classroom and being in charge of the intellectual growth of 22 young minds. Am I excited? You better believe it. A little anxious? Just a tad. BUT with my classroom theme being the safari, I am so ready for this adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment