Quote of the Day

It is much easier to build strong children than it is to repair a broken man.

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

You mean you're just a. . . girl?

I absolutely love little kids. At the elementary school I will be teaching at, I have been volunteering with their kindergarteners who will be MY future students. They say the cutest things. When I was there last they asked
"Do you have any daughters?"
"No, I'm not a mom yet"
"You don't have any sons either"
"No"
"You mean, you're just a . . . . girl?"
"Hahah Yup, I am just a girl"

It made me realize how much my students will be watching me. I realized how much I people watch throughout the day and like most others, I make assumptions about what I see. What kind of image do I want to be projecting for my students to learn from. I am spending 6 hours a day with these kids and will be helping shape their futures. Its a little scary to think about. I look at my notes I take for classes that are covered in animal drawings and full of different colors. I look at how I dress, my car, my room, and I wonder what a complete stranger would think. Right now, here is what they would think:
This girl loves candy
and pretzel goldfish
Her car is extremely clean (they caught me on a good day)
and who are these adorable little kids that look nothing like her in all these picture frames (niece and nephews)


I wonder if we would change anything if we could see ourselves through the eyes of a stranger for a day, a few hours, a few minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment